We are looking for a
Lecturer Structural Engineering and Design for Buildings and Infrastructure
Are you passionate about educating students at a bachelor and master level and fascinated by the design and engineering of structures for buildings and infrastructure? Do you have experience in structural steel design and engineering and maybe also in the design and engineering of structures in other materials, like aluminium, timber, glass and/or FRP? Then you may be an excellent candidate for this Lecturer position.
Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e) is a leading research university specializing in engineering science and technology with strong bonds to industry practice. Following the strategic goals, the Department of the Built Environment (BE) aims to educate future generations of students and meet today’s and tomorrow’s societal challenges. The SED chair is one out of four chairs that cooperate within the department on teaching and research.
As a lecturer, your main focus will be on educating the structural engineers and designers of the future, both at the bachelor and at the master level. You will maintain, co-develop and teach courses and projects. In the bachelor program Architecture Urbanism and Building Sciences you will lecture to groups up to a size of 250 students and in the master program Architecture Building and Planning, track Structural Engineering and Design, you will lecture to groups up to a size of 50 students. Both in the bachelor and in the master programs you will be supervising project work carried out by individual students or groups of about 15 students at max. You will be teaching in English. Your expertise is in the field of structural engineering and design for buildings and infrastructures. Since our educational programs are integrally addressing all building disciplines, expertise in other building disciplines (like building physics, architecture, urbanism and urban systems and real estate) is a pre but not a must. It would be nice if you would feel confident to teach one or more of these disciplines at undergraduate (bachelor) level. You will teach in courses and projects as a member of a team of dedicated teaching staff members. You have knowledge of and experience in structural engineering and design in steel, and preferably also in aluminium, timber, glass and/or FRP. You have a thorough knowledge of the Eurocodes and software programs (finite element and code checking programs) and have worked with these codes and programs in practice, such that you can bring your practical experience to the classroom.
This lecturer position is embedded in the chair of Steel and Aluminium Structures of the Unit Structural Engineering and Design of the Department of the Built Environment of Eindhoven University of Technology (https://www.tue.nl/en/research/research-groups/structural-engineering-and-design/). Besides working in the chair of Steel and Aluminium, you will also collaborate with colleagues from other chairs in the department.
Our educational programs are intertwined with research, but this position concerns a teaching job. You will further contribute to our organization by participating in education committees aimed at maintaining and improving the quality of our bachelor and master programs. These programs contribute to important societal themes like the energy transition, sustainability and circularity, the housing problem and the ageing infrastructure. You will have ample opportunities to help innovating our education, e.g. by a shift from teaching towards learning. In the projects, you expose our students to real life challenges by using so-called `challenge based learning’ methods. You will make use of technological advancements and digitization in teaching.
- Motivated structural engineer with teaching ambitions, with an MSc in civil or building engineering with a specialization in structural engineering and/or structural design, or a comparable domain.
- Ability to teach, demonstrated by experience or assistance in teaching. Clear vision on teaching and learning within the discipline.
- Strong cooperation skills and ability to work in an interdisciplinary team.
- Effective communication skills, including coaching and mentoring of students, Ability to lead a project and chair a group.
- Excellent (written and verbal) proficiency in English.
- A minimum of three years relevant work experience in hands-on structural engineering and design for buildings and/or infrastructure.
- Thorough understanding of the Eurocodes and their application to practice.
- Thorough knowledge of steel structures and preferably also of structures made of one or more of the following materials: aluminium, timber, glass or FRP.
- Working knowledge of finite element programs and code checking programs for structural engineering purposes.
- Holding a ‘University Teaching Qualification’, if you do not have one, we will give you the opportunity to obtain it free of charge.
Conditions of employment
A meaningful job in a dynamic and ambitious university, in an interdisciplinary setting and within an international network. You will work on a beautiful, green campus within walking distance of the central train station. In addition, we offer you:
- An interesting teaching position educating future professionals.
- The opportunity to focus your career on education.
- Salary in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities, scale 10 or 11 (min. € 2960,- max. € 5439,- per month), depending on experience.
- A year-end bonus of 8.3% and annual vacation pay of 8%.
- A dedicated mentoring program to help you getting to know the university and the Dutch environment.
- High-quality training programs for academic leadership and teaching.
- An excellent technical infrastructure, on-campus children's day care and sports facilities.
- Partially paid parental leave and an allowance for commuting, working from home and internet costs.
- A Staff Immigration Team is available for international candidates, as are a tax compensation scheme (the 30% facility) and partner career support.
Information and application
Eindhoven University of Technology is an internationally top-ranking university in the Netherlands that combines scientific curiosity with a hands-on attitude. Our spirit of collaboration translates into an open culture and a top-five position in collaborating with advanced industries. Fundamental knowledge enables us to design solutions for the highly complex problems of today and tomorrow.
Do you recognize yourself in this profile and would you like to know more?
Please contact the hiring manager Bert Snijder, Professor of Structural design (Steel Structures), email@example.com or +31 40 2472153.
Visit our website for more information about the application process or the conditions of employment. You can also contact Scott Jacops, HR Advisor, firstname.lastname@example.org or +31 40 2473161.
Are you inspired and would like to know more about working at TU/e? Please visit our career page.
Please send in your resume and motivation letter by using the apply button.
We invite you to submit a complete application.
The application should include a:
- Cover letter in which you describe your motivation and qualifications for the position.
- Curriculum vitae, including a list of your publications (if any) and the contact information of three references.
- Statement of your teaching goals and experience (1 page).
We look forward to receiving your application and will screen it as soon as possible. The vacancy will remain open until the position is filled.
Please send in your resume and motivation letter by using the apply button.
- Fulltime / parttime
- Medior (mid-career)
- Contract type
- Vast contract
- Onderwijs / Opleiding